Print this page


Academic Planning & Support

Beginning Your Studies

Making Choices as a Student. You have many academic decisions to make – choosing your program and enrolling in courses that lead toward your degree. Students enrolled on the Mt. Pleasant campus are required to declare a major, or sign a statement of intent to major, by the time they earn 56 credit hours. For students who are exploring majors, the CMU University Program portion of the General Education Requirements provides exposure to many areas of study. The University Program is required of all students and is explained later in this Bulletin. While taking University Program classes, you receive a well-rounded educational experience, while fulfilling needed General Education Requirements for graduation.

Academic Schedule

Academic programs and course offerings at CMU are in a constant process of change and revision in response to advancements in knowledge, and to changing student needs and societal demands. In accordance with this process, academic programs and courses may be changed, deleted, or rescheduled. The time you will need to complete a degree depends on a number of areas: the academic load you will carry, whether or not you will attend summer sessions, and utilizing campus resources and services. You may complete a bachelor’s degree in less than four years or it may take you longer. Conditions producing high demand for certain courses and programs where resources are limited may require some students to take more than the estimated minimum amount of time to complete their programs. There may also be special requirements for certain degrees as well as major and minor programs.

You are urged to discuss your progress toward a degree periodically with your academic advisor as you continue your program of study at CMU.

Progress Toward Your Degree

Making use of academic advising and other services available on campus is strongly recommended. Academic advisors can help you clarify your plans, as well as help you plan the most efficient route toward your degree. You can also check your own progress on your Degree Progress at It is still important to see your advisor for assistance and verification of your progress.

Academic Load

The following is a typical academic load for a CMU undergraduate:

Semester/Session Typical Academic Load
Fall Semester 14 -18
Spring Semester 14 -18
3 weeks of Summer Session 3
6 weeks of Summer Session 5-7
12 weeks of Summer Session 12-14

A degree requires a minimum of 120 hours of credit. Some degrees and majors have minimums above 120. In order to graduate within four years with a degree, a student must average at least 30 hours of credit each year.

Abilities and circumstances of students vary greatly. Each student should carefully weigh these factors when deciding the number of hours to carry during a semester or session as well as the length of time to be expended in fulfilling requirements for a degree. Some students will carry lighter loads and take longer to fulfill the requirements. As a guideline, freshmen are advised to take no more than 15 hours of credit during the first semester on campus.

No undergraduate student will be permitted to be enrolled in more than 21 credits per semester. Exceptions may be granted with approval of the dean or dean's designee.’

Global Campus: No undergraduate student will be permitted to be enrolled in more than 21 credits during any of the following periods:

  • Spring (January-May)
  • Summer (May-August)
  • Fall (August-December)

Senate Policy: Amended on 4/22/03 to include restriction to 21 credits per semester. Editorially amended 3/21/18 to change mimimum hours to 120 and annual average to 30 for Senate-approved degrees with 120 minimum hours.

First Year (Freshman) (0-25 credit hours)

Meet with your Academic Advisor during your first semester to clarify requirements on the University Program, competencies, or any other questions you have encountered since academic orientation. They can assist you with your transition to campus and help you put successful strategies and goals in place.

At CMU, several advising services, classes, and self-assessment instruments are available to assist you in your academic and career decision making. Some suggestions include:

  • Talking to CMU advisors in academic departments, Academic Advising and Academic Assistance, or the Career Development Center regarding academic programs that interest you.
  • Considering taking CED 101 (1 credit) Career and Self Exploration.
  • Participating in various self assessment exercises designed to match your interests and abilities with academic and career opportunities. CMU offers the following personalized and computerized self assessment exercises: Focus Program and Strong Interest Inventory (see the Career Development Center website:

Keep these in mind if you are pursing one of the programs:


  • Contact Business Student Services (Grawn Hall 105, 989-774-3124) for information regarding the College of Business Administration or to schedule a meeting with a business advisor.

The Arts and Media (Art, Broadcast & Cinematic Arts, Communication, Journalism, Music):

  • Call 989-774-7506.

Health Professions:

  • Contact the College of Health Professions Student Service Center, 989-774-2315.

Liberal Arts and Social Sciences (English Language and Literature; History; Military Science; Philosophy and Religion; Political Science; Psychology; Sociology, Anthropology & Social Work; World Languages and Cultures:

  • Call 989-774-7506.

Pre-professional Studies (pre-law, pre-med, etc.):

  • Talk with the appropriate pre-professional advisor.


Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics:

Second Year (Sophomore) (26-55 credit hours)

  • Continue your search for a major and/or minor.
  • If you have decided on your major and/or minor, consult with the appropriate departmental advisor(s) to declare the major/minor and define requirements for graduation.
  • Continue coursework on the University Program, competencies, and major/minor. Most competency requirements must be completed by 56 credit hours. Review your progress on completion of the University Program and competency requirements with your academic advisor.

Keep these in mind if you are pursing one of the programs:


  • Follow the procedures for admission to the Teacher Education Program.
  • Schedule an appointment with your academic advisor.


  • Complete the requirements for admission to the College of Business Administration outlined in the Undergraduate Bulletin.
  • Meet with a CBA advisor in Grawn Hall 105, 989-774-3124;

Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics:

Third Year (Junior) (56-85 credit hours)

  • Declare your major and/or minor in the appropriate department(s) if you have not done so.
  • Once you have declared your major and/or minor, schedule an advising appointment with the Academic Advisor in the college of your major. This person will review your individual courses and determine remaining degree requirements.
  • Register with the Career Development Center (Ronan Hall 250, 989-774-3068)
  • Apply for admission into an Accelerated Master’s Degree Program if applicable.

Keep these in mind if you are pursing one of the programs below:


  • If you have completed Cycle I, and if you plan to student teach during the following fall semester, apply for student teaching in January (see Standards Leading to Teacher Certification).
  • Follow the procedures for admission to the Teacher Education Program.
  • Schedule an appointment with your academic advisor.
  • Visit the Center for Student Services website at for admission information.

Fourth Year (Senior) (86-120 credit hours)

  • Once you have earned 86 credit hours, apply for graduation through Degree Progress or the Registrar’s website. Questions about graduation can be addressed by the Registrar’s Office.
  • Complete graduation requirements as indicated on your Graduation Audit. Develop skills for your job search at the Career Development Center (Ronan Hall 250, 989-774-3068). Skill development workshops and information are available regarding job search techniques, interviewing skills, and portfolio development.
  • If you are interested in attending graduate school, you should talk to faculty members in the field you would like to pursue. They will have information on how to go about selecting, applying to, and preparing for graduate school. You may also contact Graduate Studies for information on all graduate programs available at CMU by visiting, sending an e-mail to, calling 989-774-1708, or visiting Graduate Student Services in Foust 100.

Special Notes for Transfer Students:

  • During your first semester, check with the Registrar’s Office to be sure that a final transcript from each of your previous colleges is on file.
  • If you have questions following orientation, meet with a general academic advisor or college advisor to review your transfer credit evaluation, University Program and competency requirements.
  • Review the above steps to verify your progress toward completion of all CMU degree requirements.

Academic Supports

Central Michigan University’s comprehensive advising and counseling services offer an important resource for all undergraduate students. Academic advisors make every effort to familiarize students with university requirements, career, academic information, and helping them find success strategies and skills. Students with emotional or personal concerns have opportunities to work with professional counselors (see Counseling Center for more information). Using these support services is easy, convenient and critical to success.

Office of Student Success

230 Ronan Hall


The team in the Office of Student Success provides students with support from the start of their CMU journey through graduation. The office includes the following services:

Academic Departmental Advising

Faculty Advising

When students are ready to consider a major or minor program, it is recommended that an appointment be made with a faculty advisor in the department teaching courses of interest. Students may want to visit with faculty in several departments before making a decision. Once a major/minor is selected, a faculty advisor is assigned by the academic department.

Transfer Credit Evaluation 

This area of the Registrar’s Office receives and reviews transcripts for evaluation of undergraduate transfer credit. Students may schedule an appointment with the Assistant Registrar if they have questions regarding transfer credit. Transferability of coursework from Michigan community colleges as well as partial listings from other colleges and universities can be viewed at Students planning to complete coursework at colleges not listed should check with this office in advance by emailing course information to

Graduation Audit 

During the semester or session in which students will complete 86 credit hours, an application for graduation should be submitted. Applications for graduation can be submitted online through Degree Progress or the Registrar’s website. An official graduation audit indicating remaining requirements for your degree will be e-mailed to students.

Applications are processed in the order they are received for each graduation. For further information including submission deadlines, refer to Requirements for Graduation in this Bulletin.

Testing and Diagnostic Services

Center for Community Counseling and Development. The Center for Community Counseling and Development provides counseling and assessment services for community residents, area schools, and Central Michigan University students. Advanced graduate students in counseling ordinarily perform these services under the supervision of the counselor education faculty members. Among the services provided are: individual counseling for children, adolescents and adults; family and couples counseling; play therapy for children; general counseling for emotional problems and life adjustment concerns; career and employment counseling; referral help in finding appropriate services for identified problems; and consultation with community agencies and schools. In addition to serving the needs of referrals during the school year, the Center for Community Counseling and Development provides counseling and consultative services during the summer months. The clinic is administered by the Department of Counseling and Special Education (989-774-3532; EHS 322).

Psychological Training & Consultation Center (PTCC). The PTCC is a CMU training clinic which offers free psychological services, including psychotheraphy and psychological assessment, to CMU students, faculty, and staff, and community residents. Services are provided by CMU psychology graduate students who are training at the PTCC, and all services are supervised by Psychology Department faculty. In addition, speciality services are offered through the PTCC, including the Trauma and Anxiety Disorders Clinic, Neuropsychology Clinic, School Psychology Clinic, and Learning Acceleration Clinic. For further information about the PTCC or to request services, please call 989-774-3904.

Speech, Language, and Hearing Clinics. The Speech, Language and Hearing Clinics are operated by the Department of Communication Sciences & Disorders at CMU and at various ancillary facilities in the Central Michigan area. These clinics are part of the Carls Center for Clinical Care and Education. The clinics emphasize complete programs in evaluation, diagnosis, and rehabilitation of children and adults with communication disorders. The academic and clinical service programs in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology are nationally recognized by full accreditation from the Council of Academic Accreditation of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association. In addition, the Audiology program is the first in the USA to be nationally recognized by full accreditation from the Accreditation Commission for Audiology Education of the American Academy of Audiology.

Each summer, the Department of Communication Sciences & Disorders operates a five-week coeducational specialty program on campus for children and adolescents up to the age of 18 years, with speech, language, voice, fluency and hearing disorders. Participants receive approximately 60 hours of therapy at the Carls Center for Clinical Care and Education. Since its inception in 1946, this specialty clinic has served thousands of children with a wide range of communication disorders. Enrollment in this clinic is approximately 75 children each summer. The staff is comprised of university faculty; practicing speech, language, and hearing professionals; graduate students; and selected undergraduates.

The Department of Communication Sciences & Disorders offers students in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology diverse clinical opportunities. Practicum experience may include medical care facilities, educational settings, preschool language programs, hospital clinics, voice clinics, otolaryngologists’ offices, and adult work activity centers. Students completing the master’s degree program in Speech-Language Pathology or the professional doctoral degree (Au.D.) in Audiology fulfill the academic and clinical requirements for the Certificate of Clinical Competence issued by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association.

The Carls Center for Clinical Care and Education, Health Professions Building, 989-774-3904.

Certified Testing Center

The Certified Testing Center, located in Park Library, provides testing services for students. This includes CLEP testing, testing for competencies, and graduate entrance examinations, as well as other tests. Call 989-774-1092 for additional information or visit the website at



Career Development Center

Kevin Schwemmin

Ronan Hall 240


The primary goals of the Career Development Center are to assist individuals in recognizing career development as a lifelong process and to develop decision-making and job search skills that are useful throughout life. Career development is an important element of an individual’s sense of identity and personal happiness. Successful career development is dependent on two factors: self-knowledge and knowledge of the world of work. The likelihood of career success is increased dramatically when individuals invest incremental effort over a significant period of time. We believe you should continue the process of career exploration and selection during your first semester and throughout your CMU experience. By utilizing the Career Development Center, you will enhance your ability to make an informed career decision. All of us at CMU are committed to providing you with quality experiences and helping you prepare for your career.

Support Services

Advising. A professional staff member in the Career Development Center is available to advise students in all fields of study. You may call to make an appointment with an advisor to discuss industry trends, salary trends, available resources, time frames for conducting a job search, preparations for your job search, and information about internships. You are encouraged to communicate with a career advisor throughout your CMU career beginning with your first semester. Frequent contacts with an advisor will enhance the quality of your career development and increase your knowledge of resources and job market trends. Visit for information on planning for career success.

Resume Critiques. The Career Development Center offers individual assistance in the development of this most critical tool.

Mock Interview Program. This program is designed to provide an opportunity to practice your interviewing skills prior to actual scheduled interviews with employers. This practice interview is a session with an intern who is trained to provide feedback about verbal and nonverbal techniques.

Register. Search for Internships, Employer Referrals, and On-Campus Interviewing. Individuals who are actively pursuing professional employment or internship opportunities register with the Career Development Center by using Handshake. This system is available to undergraduates, graduating seniors, graduate students, and alumni. Registering allows you access to the on-campus interviewing program, internships, the employer referral program, and our job database.

Assessments (Career “Tests”). Try the free Awato assessment tool to help clarify your interests, values, skills, personality, education preferences and leisure time interests. Use this information as a basis for further discussions about your choice of major and future with a career advisor, friends, and family members. Additionally, this tool can be used to research job titles that fit your personal profile. Also available through the Career Development Center, for a nominal charge, are the Myer’s-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) and the Strong Interest Inventory (SII). You must make an appointment with a career advisor to receive and discuss your results.

Career Events. There are numerous Career events held throughout the academic year. These events are focused on the following career-related activities:

Career/Job Fairs

Employer Spotlights

Capital City Internship Program

Fire Up Your Career Information Workshop

How a major “fits” into the world of work.

Go to for a current list of Career Events (you will need a global id).

On-Campus Interviewing Program

This program is designed to give students access to a well-established base of employers who schedule and conduct interviews on campus for a variety of entry-level positions. A list of employers and their interview dates is available in Handshake (, and the Career Development Center.

For more information, contact the Career Development Center, Ronan Hall 240, 989- 774-3068,, or online at