Print this page



Grade Reports

At the end of each on-campus semester or session, students may access their grades via CentralLink (

Credit and Points

The university uses specified quantitative and qualitative standards to appraise the quality of work done by its students.

Quantitative Unit. The quantitative unit of credit is the semester hour.

Qualitative Unit. The qualitative credit is the grade or rating used by the instructor to indicate an evaluation of the results accomplished. The work of the student in each course completed is rated in accordance with the following marking system.


Grades Significance Honors Points Per Semester Hour
A Superior 4.0
A- 3.7
B+ 3.3
B 3.0
B- 2.7
C+ 2.3
C 2.0
C- 1.7
D+ 1.3
D 1.0
D- 0.7
E Failing 0.0
CR Credit
N No grade submitted
NC No Credit
I Incomplete Not included in
W Withdrawal computing hours
X Audit and points
Z Deferred Grade
H* Honors Program

*(Designates Honors Credit in combination with letter grade of C or better)

The marking system for CMU graduate students is described in the Graduate Bulletin.

Undergraduate Grade Point Average

The grade-point average for undergraduate students is found by dividing the total honor points earned by the total graded hours.

Recomputation of Grade Point Average

An undergraduate student may petition for recomputation of the student's cumulative grade point average if:

  1. the student has not attended CMU or any other institution for four or more consecutive years, and
  2. the student re-enrolls after the student's matriculation was canceled or after withdrawing voluntarily with a cumulative grade point average under 2.00 (academic probation).

A petition form for recomputation may be obtained from the Academic Advising and Assistance office. This policy may apply to students presently enrolled at CMU.

If the petition is approved, all courses taken will remain on the permanent record. Those courses with grades of A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, or CR will be counted for credit only. The student resumes their academic program at CMU with no cumulative grade-point average, and thereafter is subject to the conditions of probation and dismissal that govern all students. A student may not graduate from Central Michigan University under this policy unless he/she earns at least 12 semester hours of credit at this institution after the recomputation has been granted.

Honors for Recomputations

Students who have had a recomputation of grade point average must meet the following criteria to be eligible for graduation with honors: At the beginning of the student's final semester must have completed 45 hours of residence, of which 33 hours are letter graded, and a cumulative point average as indicated in the Graduation with Honors table. Only hours completed after the recomputation are eligible for this requirement.

Point Deficiency - Undergraduate Students

A point deficiency is defined as the number of points lacking to make a cumulative grade point average of 2.00.

Change of Grade

A request to change a grade may be initiated by an instructor electronically using “Web Grades” via CentralLink. The change of grade will be forwarded to the chairperson for approval and also to the dean of the college.

Requests for change of grade involving error by an instructor--such as error in recording grade, transpositional error, error in transferring grade to Final Grade List, miscalculation, computational error, error in scoring final exam, test or assignment grade not recorded, papers misplaced by instructor and found after grade was recorded, error in graduate assistant or lab assistant reporting grade to grading instructor, or instructor forgetting that a student had been promised an “I” grade--shall be processed by the Registrar’s Office without any action by a College Change of Grade Committee.

All other requests for change of grade are to be submitted by the dean to the College Change of Grade Committee. If the request is approved, the chairperson of the committee or the appropriate dean will electronically forward the change to the Registrar’s Office for processing.

Grade Grievance Policy

The University recognizes that it is the instructor’s prerogative to determine a grade. Responsibility for resolving grading disputes is shared among the instructor, the student, the department, and the college. If a question is raised by a student concerning a grade, the instructor should discuss the matter willingly and give evidence to make clear their basis for determining the grade. In turn, the student should recognize the need to demonstrate a valid basis for complaint. At any time, either upon the student inquiry or upon their own initiative, the instructor who believes a change of grade is justified may initiate a request for a change in grade.

The following steps are available for review of allegations of capricious grading under the grade grievance policy. They are not for review of the judgment of an instructor in assessing the quality of a student’s work nor are they to be used in cases involving violations of CMU’s Academic Integrity Policy. Determination of the grade in such cases is left solely to the instructor. 

Capricious grading, as that term is used herein, constitutes any of the following: (a) the assignment of a grade to a particular student on some basis other than their performance in the course; (b) the assignment of a grade to a particular student based on more exacting or demanding standards than were applied to other students in that course (and it is understood that standards for graduate credit may be different from standards for undergraduate credit); (c) the assignment of a grade by a substantial departure from the instructor’s previously announced standards. 

Step 1: 

  • A student who desires discussion of a complaint about a grade shall contact the instructor or, if the instructor is unavailable, the department chairperson either in person or in writing as soon as possible, but in no case later than thirty days after the grade is posted. Any exception to the time limitation shall be for unusual and most compelling reasons. Ordinarily, the student should accept the instructor’s decision. However, if the student is still not satisfied, they may request in writing a joint consultation with the instructor and the chairperson of the department involved. In a case in which the student’s request for joint consultation involves an instructor who is also chairperson of the department, the student’s request in writing should be sent to the dean of the school or college involved. In such cases, the dean shall act in place of the department chairperson. 

Step 2:

  • A student who is not satisfied after consultation with the instructor and department chairperson and who alleges that the course grade is the result of capricious grading may file an appeal within forty-five days from the date of the posted grade to the dean of the instructor’s college for forwarding to the College Committee on Review of Change of Grade. The student shall file the appeal by submitting a College Committee on Review of Change of Grade Appeal and accompanying documentation explaining the basis for the allegation that the grade was the result of capricious grading and presenting any evidence they may have. 
  • The appeal shall be dismissed if (a) the appeal was not timely; (b)the allegations, if true, would not constitute capricious grading; or (c) the student has not attempted to confer with the instructor or chairperson of the department. If the appeal is not dismissed the committee* shall submit a copy of the student’s completed College Committee on Review of Change of Grade Appeal and accompanying documentation to the instructor of the course with a request that the instructor promptly submit a written response thereto, a copy of which shall be made available to the student. If, upon the basis of these papers, the dispute appears to be attributable to inadequate or incomplete communication between the parties, the committee may arrange to meet individually or together with the student and instructor to discuss the problem. A teleconference can be arranged for an individual who does not reside in proximity to the main campus. 

Step 3: 

  • If such a meeting is not held or, if held, the meeting does not result in a mutually agreeable solution, the committee shall proceed to hold a fact-finding session concerning the allegations set forth in the appeal. Both the student and the instructor shall be entitled to be present throughout the session and to present any relevant evidence, including testimony by other persons. The student and the instructor both may be accompanied by a person to assist them in presenting evidence. The session shall not be open to the public. 
  • At the close of the session, the committee shall deliberate privately. If a majority finds the allegations of capricious grading to be supported by substantial evidence, the committee shall determine the most appropriate remedy. The committee may direct the instructor to grade the student’s work anew, give the student a new examination in the course, or take such other action as will bring about substantial justice in the individual case. However, except in the most extraordinary circumstances, the committee itself should not award the student a new grade in the course. The decision of the committee shall be final and shall be reported in writing to the student, instructor, and the departmental office. 

The College Committee on Review of Change of Grade may also resolve complaints involving suspected violation of grading policies for incomplete and deferred grades, dropping a class, or withdrawal from the university. The same procedures as outlined above for review of alleged capricious grading shall be followed. 

*If the instructor of the course is a member of the Committee, they shall be disqualified from considering the appeal. 

Approved by Academic Senate: 10-22-2019


Grade, Incomplete and Deferred

Incomplete Grade. An “I” (Incomplete) grade is a temporary grade used by the instructor in cases when a student is unable to complete course requirements because of illness or other justifiable circum- stances. An incomplete grade does not indicate enrollment for the period of time in which the work is done. It is assigned only in cases in which the student has completed satisfactorily the major portion of the course requirements, and has convinced the instructor of the student's ability to complete the remaining work without re-registering for the course. It is not to be given to a student who is already doing failing work. A form must be completed and signed by the faculty member (and the student, when possible) whenever a grade of “I” is assigned. The form is to be kept on file in the departmental office. An instructor who assigns a grade of “I” also submits a formal statement to the department chairperson of requirements to be satisfied for removal of the Incomplete grade. A copy of the statement of requirements, including deadlines for their completion, shall be made available to the student.

It is the student’s responsibility to contact the instructor to make arrangements for completing the remaining work. The required work should be completed and a grade reported by the end of the student’s next semester in residence, but in no case later than one calendar year following the receipt of the “I” grade. A student not completing the remaining work by the end of one calendar year following the receipt of an “I” would retain an “I” only if the instructor chooses not to change the “I” to a specific grade ranging from A to E by the end of the calendar year. An “I” may not be removed by registering again for the course. Students will not be allowed to register for the same course with an outstanding grade of I.

If the instructor of the class in which the “I” was incurred is no longer a member of the faculty, the student should contact the department chairperson, who shall act on behalf of the former instructor.

Exceptions to these regulations can be made only when requested by the student and approved by the instructor or the department chairperson and the dean of the college, and certified by the dean of the college to the Registrar.

Deferred Grade. The “Z” (deferred) grade may be recorded for students registered for independent study, for thesis, International Program Studies courses, or for other courses specifically approved for “Z” grades in the Bulletin, if the instructor believes that the quality and quantity of work completed by the end of the semester justifies an extension of time. An instructor who assigns a grade of “Z” shall submit, on the proper form, a statement to the department chairperson of remaining requirements for removal of the deferred grade. A copy of the statement of requirements, including deadlines for their completion, shall be made available to the student.

(Academic Senate, 2/16/21)