Print this page


Living on Campus

Campus Residency Policy

Central Michigan University’s campus residency policy requires that first and second-year students live in a residence hall or Northwest Apartment. Those who reach the four-semester requirement at midyear are required to complete the full term of the contract for the academic year (fall and spring semester).

All Office of Residence Life housing contracts are for one academic year. If a student does not qualify for an exception to the policy at the beginning of the year, the student must fulfill the agreement even though he or she may become eligible for an exception during the year. Requests for exception must be submitted in writing to the Office of Residence Life.


  1. Undergraduate residents are expected to maintain at least 12 credit hours per semester.
  2. Graduate residents are expected to maintain at least 9 credit hours per semester.

Graduate students may live in CMU's Graduate Student housing or Kewadin Village, if the relevant criteria are met and any required approvals are obtained. CMU maintains apartment-style communities located at Graduate Housing, Kewadin Village, and Northwest Apartments 

Residence Halls

CMU has 21 coed residence halls in four residential communities. Each Community offers a Student Success Center, where student service professionals work as a team to help residents become successful students. This team includes an Academic Advisor, a Care Advocate, and a Success Coach. In addition, other professional staff are in various locations throughout the communities and include Assistant Directors for Residence Life, Residence Hall Directors, and Community Police Officers. All residence halls are tobacco and smoke free for the health of all students.

Questions concerning housing should be addressed to the Office of Residence Life, Ronan Hall, Room 270, Central Michigan University, Mount Pleasant, MI 48859. 989-774-3111, fax 989-774-6410 or e-mail at

Living Learning Communities

In an effort to integrate the use of all of our campus resources in the education and preparation of the whole student, we join with faculty members in several departments to offer the following living learning communities:

  • Business Residential College
  • Education and Human Services Residential College
  • Health Professions Residential College
  • Honors Program
  • Leader Advancement Scholars
  • Multicultural Advancement and Cofer Scholarship (MAC Scholar) Residential College
  • Public Service Residential College
  • School of Music Residential College
  • Science and Engineering Residential College
  • Transfer Student Community

Note: Living Learning Communities comprise one or more floors of a residence hall, so students who do not have an interest in a specific academic program may still apply for these halls, with the exception of the Honors Program.

University Apartments

There are 390 university apartments available on campus. One-, two-, three-, and four-bedroom apartments are assigned according to date of application.

Eligibility for Northwest Apartments:

  • Single undergraduate students who have completed 24 credit hours
  • Veteran with one or more years of active service
  • Applicant must be a full-time Central Michigan University student

Eligibility for Kewadin Village:

  • Student and spouse with their children living with them
  • Single student living with child/children
  • Student and spouse without children
  • Student living with child/children and roommate approved by the Office of Residence Life
  • Single graduate students
  • Applicant must be a full-time Central Michigan University student

Eligibility for Graduate Apartments:

  • Single graduate students
  • Applicant must be a full-time Central Michigan University student

Our single student apartments are furnished. Family apartments vary depending on the unit. Rates include laundry, utilities, cable, internet, and local telephone service. Contracts are available for the entire academic year or the summer session. Application process is online and requires a global ID and active password.

Questions concerning the University Apartments should be addressed to the Office of Residence Life, Ronan Hall, Room 270, Central Michigan University, Mt. Pleasant, MI 48859; 989-774-3111, fax 989-774-6410, or e-mail at

Campus Dining

Food. It’s how we relax, relate, and reconnect. Nutrition is an integral part of the college experience. The campus at CMU is conveniently covered with 15 different dining locations that open as early as 7:00 a.m. and close as late as 2:00 a.m. From all-you-care-to-eat residential restaurants to the food court, coffee houses, and convenience stores…you get quality, variety, and convenience—all at a great value—no matter where you’re at on campus.

Meal Plans for Everyone

Whether you’re a resident or commuter student, you’ve got options when it comes to dining on campus. Meal Plans and FLEX Passes are available with different levels of meal swipes and FLEX Dollars to fit your dining habits and busy schedule while providing a range of delicious and healthy options to nourish your campus experience. View options online at

Managing Food Allergies & Your Nutrition on Campus

At CMU Campus Dining, we believe that good nutrition is essential to good health. That's why we are committed to nourishing each and every student by providing them with healthy, nutritious foods every day. Please use the list of resources below to help manage your nutrition while dining on campus by visiting

  • Special Dietary Solutions Take a look at the comprehensive suite of resources to help you manage your nutrition while dining at CMU with our Special Dietary Solutions guide.
  • Food Allergies We support students with food allergies by providing the knowledge and resources that are necessary for students to make informed food choices in our dining locations. Please consult our Guide to Managing Food Allergies.
  • Personal Menu Consultation We recognize and accommodate your dietary needs in a way that's personalized, sensitive, and supportive. Contact CMU Campus Dining for a personal menu consultation by submitting your Online Student Profile regarding your food allergy or intolerance.
  • NetNutrition – Online menus, full ingredient listings, and nutritional information is at your fingertips while dining on campus. Visit from any computer, mobile device, or the iPad kiosks inside each residential restaurant at CMU.
  • Healthy For Life Commitment – Learn more about our partnership with the American Heart Association and our Healthy For Life commitment to improve the health of Americans 20% by 2020.
  • Feed Your Potential – Discovering and choosing the right foods can help you unleash your best and keep you healthy. Our chefs and dietitians understand how challenging this can be, so we’re here to help you discover what healthy foods can do to Feed Your Potential every day.

Changing Your Meal Plan

Meal plan changes can be made during the first four weeks of classes. Here are the parameters: FALL SEMESTER: For resident students to make a change to your fall semester meal plan free of charge, email the Office of Residence Life at before classes begin in August. For commuter students to make a change to your fall semester FLEX Pass free of charge, stop by the CentralCard Office in the Bovee University Center before classes begin in August. SPRING SEMESTER: For any residents or commuter students to make a change to your spring meal plan or FLEX Pass free of charge, visit the CentralCard Office beginning the last week of November through the day before classes begin in January. (Residents may complete the Meal Plan Change Request Form at Once classes begin for each semester, meal plan changes may be made for a $15 fee in the CentralCard Office. Meal plan changes are accepted during the first four weeks of each semester.

Stay Connected

Check out Campus Dining on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook to discover when and where the Food Crew is out and about on campus giving out free samples, playing games, selling discounted FLEX Dollars, and handing out coupons for big savings. Visit our website for the inside scoop about campus dining. Get menus, nutrition information, current hours of operation, sign up for a FLEX Pass or add-on FLEX Dollars, find job openings, FAQs, and more.






Phone: 989-774-6406

Campus Address: Foust 100