Print this page


Veteran Award

Consideration for the Central Michigan University Veteran Award is available to honorably discharged veterans from the U.S. Military Service who have regular admission as an undergraduate or graduate in one of CMU’s on-campus, off-campus, or online standard degree programs.

Applicant Requirements:

  • Complete the Veteran Award Application:
  • Provide a copy of your DD-214 member-4 copy verifying honorable discharge or, documentation from the U.S. Department of Veteran’s Affairs indicating eligibility for educational benefits. Do not email documents.
  • File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
  • Undergraduates must be enrolled in a minimum of 9 credit hours per semester.
  • Graduates must be enrolled in a minimum of 6 credit hours per semester.

Due Dates for Fall and Spring semesters

  • November 1 for Fall only enrollment.
  • March 1 for Fall and Spring enrollment.
  • The Summer Veteran Award Application will be available each year in March.

Awarding Criteria

The CMU Veteran Award is a need-based award for eligible veterans admitted to CMU after August 16, 2016. Current students who are already receiving the veteran’s tuition rate are not eligible for this award. Eligibility is based on the students Expected Family Contribution (EFC) from the 2017-2018 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Applications will not be considered if the FAFSA is not on file with CMU’s Financial Aid Office. The amount of an award will vary dependent on student EFC and grade level. Students must maintain enrollment requirements each semester to retain the award:

  • For an undergraduate, this is 9 credit hours per semester.
  • For a graduate, this is 6 credit hours per semester.
  • Enrollment will be verified at the time of awarding.

Awards made for two semesters are subject to adjustment based on changes in credit hours enrolled. Dropping without tuition charges, after the award is credited to the student account, will result in the reversal of the award for the semester. This may result in a bill back to your student account. Withdrawal from classes during the semester will result in the loss of eligibility for the Veteran Award in the subsequent semester. Students must meet the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards for Federal Student Financial Aid regardless of whether or not financial aid is being used.