Print this page


Military and Veterans Services

CMU has been a leader and innovator in bringing quality programs to our military men and women since 1972. All of our programs, whether onsite or online, are career-focused plans to a more secure future in the military, or in civilian life after service. CMU has been a long standing partner in Air Force education and supports the concept of the “Life Long Learner.” CMU has been a partner in military education for over 45 years and has been consistently recognized as a top 20 military friendly school by Advanced Military Education.

Veterans’ Resource Center

The Veterans’ Resource Center (VRC) serves students who are veterans, spouses, dependents or military students. VRC staff will help students get the most out of their CMU experience, build academic and social networks, and receive assistance with their educational benefits, including those applicable to spouses and dependents. Hours of operation are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. or by appointment. The Veterans’ Resource Center is located in Bovee University Center 110 and may be reached at 989-774-7991 or

Specific information regarding Veterans’ Certification can be found at:

Military Service Commission

A commission in the United States Army may be obtained while enrolled in undergraduate or graduate school. Interested individuals should contact the chairperson of the Military Science Department, telephone 989-774-3049.

Servicemember’s Opportunity College

Central Michigan University recognizes the unique nature of the military lifestyle and is committed to ensuring the transfer of relevant credits, scheduling courses at convenient times and locations and providing credit opportunities for prior learning experiences and military education relevant to the degree. SOC is cosponsored by the American Association of State Colleges and Universities (AASCU) and the American Association of Communication Colleges (AACC) in cooperation with 13 other educational associations, the Military Services, the National Guard, and the Coast Guard. SOC is funded by the Department of Defense (DoD) through a contact with AASCU.

Application Fee

All U.S. military veterans, active duty, National Guard, and reserve service members are eligible to have their application fee to CMU waived. To receive the waiver, the individual must provide one of the following to CMU at the time of application:

  • DD-214 form verifying service
  • Service verification letter from their command indicating current duty station
  • VA Certificate of Eligibility (CoE)
  • Active military ID if you are applying in person at a CMU center

Resident Tuition

Unless otherwise qualified for the military discounted tuition rates, the following individuals shall be charged the in-state tuition:

Any individual using educational assistance under either Chapter 30 (Montgomery GI Bill® – Active Duty Program), Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation and Education), Chapter 33 (Post-9/11 GI Bill®) (to include the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship [38 U.S.C. § 3311 (b) (9) or 3319], of title 38, United States Code), Chapter 35 (Dependents Education Assistance Program), Chapter 1606 (Montgomery GI Bill® - Selected Reserve) who lives in the State of Michigan while attending Central Michigan University (regardless of his/her formal state of residence). The in-state tuition rate shall be applicable so long as the student is continuously enrolled.

Please see for additional information on GI Bill® resident rate requirements.

Covered Individuals (includes Veterans, current military personnel, and family members), eligible for VA education entitlement must provide a copy of the VA Certificate of Eligibility (COE) letter verifying approval of VA educational entitlement.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at

Military Discounted Tuition Rates

Listed below are the 18-19 base Military tuition rates per credit hour for which academic credit is awarded. The President or designee may vary these tuition rates and fees according to cohorts, programs, locations, or terms of contracts. Tuition for 19-20 was not set at the printing of this Bulletin but is updated online.

Undergraduate, Military 290.00
Graduate, Military 355.00
Master of Business Administration - Online
Active Military 600.00


Military Rates are applicable to programs that do not exceed the standard undergraduate and graduate rates. However, the graduate military rate is also applicable to the Master of Science in Nutrition and Dietetics program.

Qualifying Categories for Military Discounted Tuition Rate

  1. Active duty members, reservists or National Guard members currently serving in a branch of the United States military, which includes the U.S. Air Force, Army, Navy, Marine Corps and Coast Guard or the spouse or dependent child(ren) of military members. Eligibility for family members includes (a) those that qualify under the existing IRS definition of a qualifying dependent and/or (b) possess a current military benefits identification card (excludes military retirees).

Individuals must submit documentation verifying their eligibility for the Military discounted tuition rate. If not already on file with Central Michigan University, acceptable means of verification include:

  1. Present your active duty or active duty dependent military ID to your nearest CMU education center.
  2. Alternatively, active military members including eligible family members, reservists or guard members may submit a verification letter from the military members command reflecting their status as well as their end of service date.

CMU Student Services Support Fee

Information on the Student Services Support Fee may be seen by clicking the link.

Registration Information

Central Michigan University offers the earliest registration appointment times to all active military personnel, certified veterans and those deemed eligible for VA benefits by the Dept. Veteran Affairs. Central Michigan University also reserves the right to permit other approved student populations earlier registration appointment times as designated. Military Veterans will receive earliest Priority Date based on their official course registration date and class availability.

Veteran Award

Consideration for the Central Michigan University Veteran Award is available to honorably discharged veterans from the U.S. Military Service who have regular admission as an undergraduate or graduate in one of CMU’s on-campus, off-campus, or online standard degree programs.

Applicant Requirements:

  • Complete the Veteran Award Application:
  • Provide a copy of your DD-214 member-4 copy verifying honorable discharge or, documentation from the U.S. Department of Veteran’s Affairs indicating eligibility for educational benefits. Do not email documents.
  • File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
  • Undergraduates must be enrolled in a minimum of 9 credit hours per semester.
  • Graduates must be enrolled in a minimum of 6 credit hours per semester.

Due Dates for Fall and Spring semesters

  • November 1 for Fall only enrollment.
  • March 1 for Fall and Spring enrollment.
  • The Summer Veteran Award Application will be available each year in March.

Awarding Criteria

The CMU Veteran Award is a need-based award for eligible veterans admitted to CMU after August 16, 2016. Current students who are already receiving the veteran’s tuition rate are not eligible for this award. Eligibility is based on the students Expected Family Contribution (EFC) from the 2017-2018 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Applications will not be considered if the FAFSA is not on file with CMU’s Financial Aid Office. The amount of an award will vary dependent on student EFC and grade level. Students must maintain enrollment requirements each semester to retain the award:

  • For an undergraduate, this is 9 credit hours per semester.
  • For a graduate, this is 6 credit hours per semester.
  • Enrollment will be verified at the time of awarding.

Awards made for two semesters are subject to adjustment based on changes in credit hours enrolled. Dropping without tuition charges, after the award is credited to the student account, will result in the reversal of the award for the semester. This may result in a bill back to your student account. Withdrawal from classes during the semester will result in the loss of eligibility for the Veteran Award in the subsequent semester. Students must meet the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards for Federal Student Financial Aid regardless of whether or not financial aid is being used.

Veterans’ Educational Benefits

A student who is a veteran, a member of the armed forces, or spouse or dependent of a veteran or current service member may be entitled to educational benefits through the United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). Eligibility for such benefits is determined by VA.

VA strictly enforces policies governing enrollment certification and payment of veterans’ educational benefits. Students receiving VA educational benefits need to be aware of the following information that will affect receipt of benefits while enrolled at Central Michigan University.

Central Michigan University will not impose penalties upon any student using Chapter 31 or Chapter 33 VA education benefits who is unable to meet their financial obligations to the university, due to delayed disbursement from the VA.

To prevent imposing penalties upon students using GI Bill® benefits, all students utilizing those benefits will be required to submit an Enrollment Certification Request (ECR) form ( and upload the Certificate of Eligibility (CoE) they received from the VA, prior to the billing due date for that semester.  Students with Post 9/11 GI Bill® eligibility of less than 100% will be required to pay the difference between their financial obligation, and the amount expected from the VA, prior to the established due date, unless other arrangements are made by mutual agreement with the university. 

Those students who are using Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill® eligibility that has been transferred to them from a sponsor, are responsible for ensuring they understand how much of their entitlement remains at the beginning of the semester.  Residual financial obligation resulting from the expiration of VA entitlement is the sole responsibility of the student.

Audit Grades. Enrollment certification is prohibited for audited courses.

Eligible Courses. Only courses that count toward completion of a student’s stated educational objectives may be certified with VA. To ensure compliance with this VA regulation:

  • Main Campus undergraduate students must officially declare a major upon earning 56 credit hours, or before.
  • Global Campus undergraduate students must consult with their academic advisor upon admission to CMU and develop an appropriate degree plan.
  • All graduate students consult with their academic advisor upon admission to CMU and develop an appropriate degree plan.

    Note: Students changing or adding a degree or certificate program as a dual objective must execute a new degree plan. As part of the new degree plan (change) process, students utilizing VA educational benefits must have their completed coursework re-evaluated by his/her advisor to ensure previously completed courses are appropriately included in the student’s revised degree plan. Students are also advised that any change in degree or certificate program requires the student to submit a formal application.

Enrollment Certification Request. Students approved for GI Bill® Educational Benefits and wishing to receive those benefits at CMU must submit a Central Michigan University GI Bill® Enrollment Certification Request (ECR) form EACH SEMESTER. For the student’s convenience, this form is online at

  • ECRs for students taking Michigan and/or online courses will be processed by staff in Mt. Pleasant, Michigan. For more information, please visit
  • ECRs for students taking non-Michigan courses will be processed at the student’s local program center. For U.S. center locations please visit:

Enrollment Changes. Students must promptly notify their School Certifying Official of any schedule changes (i.e., dropping, adding, or withdrawing from a course).

Incomplete (I) and Deferred (Z) Grades. An incomplete or deferred is considered non-punitive and must be converted to a punitive grade within one year. VA will be notified at the end of the term of non-punitive grades; repayment of benefits may be required.

Prior Learning Credit. VA will not reimburse students for the cost of prior learning assessment credit.

Rate of Pursuit. Below is the university rate of pursuit enrollment status standard for undergraduate and graduate non-standard courses*. Federal Student Aid (FSA) has a different enrollment status standard for determining aid eligibility.

Undergraduate Rate of Pursuit (5-week courses)

  • 4 or more credits=full time
  • 3 credits=three-quarter time
  • 2 credits=half time

Undergraduate Rate of Pursuit (8-week courses)

  • 6 or more credits=full time
  • 4-5 credits= three-quarter time
  • 3 credits=half time

Undergraduate Rate of Pursuit (12-week courses)

  • 8 or more credits=full time
  • 6-7 credits=three-quarter time
  • 4-5 credits= half time

Undergraduate Rate of Pursuit (15 or 16-week courses)

  • 12 or more credits=full time
  • 9-11 credits=three-quarter time
  • 6-8 credits=half time

Graduate Rate of Pursuit (1 or 2-day courses)

  • 1 or more credits=full time
  • Graduate Rate of Pursuit (1 or 2-week courses)
  • 1 or more credits=full time

Graduate Rate of Pursuit (3-week courses)

  • 2 or more credits=full time
  • 1 credit=half time

Graduate Rate of Pursuit (5 or 6-week courses)

  • 3 or more credits= full time
  • 2 credits=half time

Graduate Rate of Pursuit (7 or 8-week courses)

  • 3 or more credits= full time
  • 2 credits= half time

Graduate Rate of Pursuit (9 week-courses)

  • 5 or more credits= full time
  • 3-4 credits=half time

Graduate Rate of Pursuit (12-week courses)

  • 6 or more credits= full time
  • 3-5 credits=half time

Graduate Rate of Pursuit (15 or 16-week courses)

  • 9 or more credits=full time
  • 5-8 credits=half time

*For the rate of pursuit of course lengths not listed, please contact the Registrar’s Office.

Repeat Courses. Only courses that are failed or for which the grade does not meet minimum requirements for graduation may be certified with VA if they are repeated.

Satisfactory Academic Progress. Students must maintain satisfactory progress according to published standards established and enforced by the University. Federal regulations mandate that benefits be discontinued when satisfactory progress has ceased. Accordingly, CMU must discontinue certification of enrollment and inform VA. Students have a right to appeal the termination of benefits with VA. For additional information, see the Satisfactory Academic Progress in the Financial Aid Section of the Bulletin.

Transfer Credit. Students must provide CMU with an official transcript from all previous institutions attended. If this requirement is not met during the student’s first term of enrollment, CMU will not certify enrollment for any future terms. The student will receive a Transfer Credit Evaluation showing all previous credits approved for transfer to CMU.

To be considered for transfer credit students must provide an official Joint Service Transcript (JST) with the American Council on Education (ACE) Recommendation. CMU follows the ACE Recommendations as it relates to military experiences and training; to be considered for transfer, students should provide official transcripts or official documentation that includes an ACE Recommendation.

Federal Financial Aid for the Military Community

Federal Financial Aid and other educational assistance programs are available to service members, veterans, and other eligible family members to help cover the cost of tuition. The following is an overview of Title IV Federal Student Aid and benefit programs through the Departments of Veterans Affairs and Defense.

Title IV Federal Student Aid

What is the maximum amount of Federal grant and loan aid available to students under Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965 (Title IV)?

The Federal government offers a variety of grants and loans to students. The Federal Student Aid Gateway ( provides detailed information about Title IV Federal Financial Aid programs and loans and how you can apply for these programs.

Grants and Scholarships are often referred to as “gift aid” because these programs provide students with financial aid that does not have to be repaid. Federal Grants and Scholarships ( including Federal Pell Grant, Teach Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants & the Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grants.

The Federal Direct Student Loan Program ( provides students with subsidized and unsubsidized loans ( based on a student’s year in college as either a dependent or independent undergraduate or at the graduate degree level.

The amount ( a student can borrow is determined by their grade level and prior student loan borrowing.

In addition to subsidized and unsubsidized loans some students may qualify for a Federal Direct PLUS loan ( based on the cost of attendance (

How can you qualify for loans and other Title IV assistance?

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid or FAFSA (http:// is required for the school to determine your eligibility for Title IV financial aid. Undergraduate dependency ( status for federal aid is determined by the questions on the FAFSA.

Title IV eligibility is automatically packaged by CMU, usually within 10 business days of receiving the FAFSA as long as there are no flags on student data. Once a student receives their award notification they have the option of declining all or part of the loan. Student may either use the Federal Student Loan Adjustment Form found on the Financial Aid Forms page or contact the Global Campus Financial Aid Office via email at

Why may Title IV student loans be more favorable than private educational loans?

“Student loans can come from the federal government or from private sources such as a bank or financial institution. Loans made by the federal government, called federal student loans, usually offer borrowers lower interest rates and have more flexible repayment options than loans from banks or other private sources.” See to compare the terms and conditions of federal student loans and private lender loans.

CMU Withdrawal Information and Satisfactory Academic Progress

Refer to the CMU Withdrawal page for Return of Title IV Financial Aid Refund and Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy information:

Also refer to Military Drop/Withdrawal Refund Policy for exceptions.

Additional Information on Title IV Federal Financial Aid

Refer to the CMU Financial Aid Manual ( or contact GCFA via email at or by phone at 1-800-664-2681, option #2.

A number of tools are available to assist you in understanding and evaluating your options as a student:

Upon admission to CMU the Financial Aid Shopping Sheet is also available to students through Central Link.

Departments of Veterans Affairs and Defense

What types of education benefit programs are offered by the Departments of Veterans Affairs and Defense?

If you are currently serving in the military, you may be eligible for funding offered through the Department of Defense Tuition Assistance program (

  • Check your eligibility status and the amount for which you qualify with your service prior to enrolling.
  • If you served on active duty, you might be eligible for education benefits offered by the Department of Veterans Affairs. For example, the Post-9/11 GI Bill® ( provides financial support for educational and housing expenses to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service after September 10, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days.
  • You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill®.
  • If you are the spouse or child of a service member who is serving on active duty Title 10 orders in the paygrades of E1-E5, O1-O2, or W1-W2, you may be eligible for financial assistance from the Department of Defense for education, training, and/or the occupational license and credentials necessary for a portable career.
  • If you are the spouse or child of a service member, you may be eligible for transfer of the service member’s Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits to you.

Additional Information on Military Educational Benefits

Transfer Credit for Military Training and Experience

  1. Military service school experiences. Granting of academic credit for military service school experiences will be guided by the evaluations prepared by the American Council on Education and published in the “Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services.” All Military Service School experiences that are recommended for undergraduate level credit will transfer to Central Michigan University. Acceptability of credit for military service school experiences to fulfill CMU major or minor requirements is at the discretion of the individual department.
  2. Military occupational specialties. Granting of academic credit for military occupational specialties will be guided by the evaluations prepared by the American Council on Education and published in the “Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services.” All Military Occupational Specialties that are recommended for undergraduate level credit will transfer to Central Michigan University. Acceptability of credit for military occupational specialties to fulfill CMU major or minor requirements is at the discretion of the individual department.
  3. Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges (SOC) courses. Undergraduate courses from another college or university that is recognized as a Service Member Opportunity College institution for either the army (SOCAD), navy (SOCNAV), or marine corps (SOCMAR) may transfer to Central Michigan University subject to the following conditions:
    1. transferable courses completed with a grade of C- or better or the equivalent must be accepted;
    2. grades and honor points or quality points are not transferable to or recorded on the CMU permanent record. The Degree Plan is a record of all of the student’s credit (including military experience) and where that learning fits into her or his degree plan.

Army Tuition Assistance

The Army portal is exclusively the reference point for all enrollment, withdrawal and drop transactions in terms of Army tuition assistance.


Up to 12.5% of Course Completion 100%
12.501% to 25% of Course Completion 75%
25.001% to 50% of Course Completion 50%
50.001% and thereafter 0%


Military Service members whose enrollment is interrupted or precluded due to military service requirements will be promptly readmitted with the same academic status as he/she had when last attending and/or admitted to CMU.

  • Notification of military service. The student (or an appropriate officer of the armed forces or official of the Department of Defense) must give oral or written notice of such service to the school as far in advance as is reasonable under the circumstances.
  • Notification of intent to return to school. The student must also give oral or written notice of her intent to return to the school within three years after the completion of the period of service.

The cumulative length of the absence and of all previous absences from the school for military service may not exceed five years. Only the time the student spends actually performing service is counted.

To be readmitted to CMU, students should submit an updated application; an application fee is not charged and any official transcripts previously submitted do not need to be resubmitted. Once readmitted and prior to registering, students should work with their Academic Advisor to update their degree plan; this is to ensure they are registering for the correct courses.

Withdrawal To Enter Military Service

See Withdrawal To Enter Military Service.

Military Drop/Withdrawal Refund Policy

Students who currently serve in the active duty military, guard units, the military reserve, and/or family members whose educational pursuits are interrupted by military orders or unforeseen military obligations must submit documentation verifying their eligibility for the military refund exception. If not already on file with Central Michigan University, acceptable means of verification include:

Present your active or dependent military identification to your nearest CMU education center along with a copy of official military orders indicating the specific time period and nature of the military service obligation; or alternatively,

Active military members including eligible family members, reservists or guard members may submit a verification letter from the military member’s command reflecting their status of their military obligation and service dates.

Additional exceptions to the course refund policy shall be considered for military members whose military duties or responsibilities impair or prevent their ability to participate in class and complete the course requirements. Where possible, exceptions must be requested prior to the last class session. A copy of TDY orders or other appropriate confirmation of the assignment that precluded completion of the course must accompany the withdrawal exception request.

Military Tuition Assistance (TA) is awarded to a student under the assumption that the student will attend school for the entire period for which the assistance is awarded. When a student withdraws, the student may no longer be eligible for the full amount of TA funds originally awarded. To comply with the new Department of Defense policy, Central Michigan University will return any unearned TA funds on a prorate basis through at least the 60% portion of the period for which the funds were provided. TA funds are earned proportionally during an enrollment period, with unearned funds returned based upon when a student stops attending.

Student Short-Term Military Service Policy

Policy. Central Michigan University recognizes that those students who are actively serving in the Reserves or National Guard are required by their military contract to attend to military orders requiring mandatory training or serve at the request of the Governor of their state to respond to natural disasters or other occurrences in which the use of the National Guard is in the best interest of the state. Failure to attend these orders is punishable under law. The University therefore provides the following rights to students required by their military contract to respond to military orders through the Student Short-Term Military Service Policy.

Procedure. Central Michigan University will not penalize students for complying with mandatory military orders and will give the opportunity to earn equivalent credit and to demonstrate evidence of meeting the learning outcomes for missed assignments or assessments in the event of a schedule or class conflict due to mandatory military orders. It is the responsibility of the student to inform the instructor at the earliest possible time of the existing schedule or class conflict.

Students are eligible for up to fifteen (15) days of short-term, military required absence per academic year with no more than ten (10) academic calendar days taken consecutively. Total absences, including travel, may not exceed 1/3 of the course meetings for any course.

Students may be granted additional absences to account for travel considerations, to be determined by the distance of the verified military service from the CMU campus where the student is registered, as follows: Within a 150 mile radius of campus or center: no additional excused absence days; Between a 150 - 300 mile radius of campus or center: one additional excused absence day; Beyond a 300 mile radius of the campus or center: two additional excused absence days; Outside the continental United States: four additional excused absence days.

A student must contact the office of the Associate Vice President for Student Affairs to request that a notice of the leave be sent to instructors as soon as he or she is informed of the dates of military service. The student must provide documentation of the mandatory military service in the form of orders or equivalent documents as proof of legitimate absence to the office of the AVP for Student Affairs as soon as these documents are available. When documentation is presented to the office of the AVP for Student Affairs a verified absence notification will be sent to the student’s instructors.

With a verified absence notification for the office of the AVP of Student Affairs, instructors will not penalize the student for missing class and will provide the opportunity to earn equivalent credit and to demonstrate evidence of meeting the learning outcomes for missed assignments or assessments or will negotiate with the student for additional time to complete assignments or alternative dates for required assessments.

Should a student not be satisfied with the agreed upon plan, he or she shall provide, within 10 days, a written statement to the instructor clearly explaining their objection and suggesting an alternative accommodation. If the instructor and student cannot expediently resolve this written objection, then the student may appeal for further review or consultation of his or her case to the Department Chair of the course or courses in question. In a case where grades are negatively affected, the student may follow the established grade appeals process.

In courses with extensive laboratory exercises, group projects, group performances, or participation requirements, equivalent exercises or assessments may not be possible as determined by the instructor and subject to review by the Dean of the college offering the course, or their designee. In such a case, the student may be eligible for retroactive withdrawal. The student should always consult with the instructor to determine the potential impact of any absence. Students should also contact Central Michigan University’s Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid and the Veterans’ Resource Center to determine if retroactive withdrawal has any impact on financial aid awards or Veteran Administration education benefits.

For a full copy of this policy (including procedures for faculty and information on available counseling), see Policy 7-12 on the General Counsel website,

Release of Information

The University will only release non-directory information regarding the education progress of military members or other covered individuals utilizing Veterans Education Benefits/military tuition assistance upon proper authorization by the student. For additional information, refer to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act section of the Bulletin.

Endowed Scholarships and Awards

See the Scholarships and Financial Aid section for awards and scholarships specifically for students in the military.

Curriculum and Course Changes

See Curriculum and Course Changes.

CMU Online Courses

Those students applying veterans educational benefits toward tuition of a course should contact CMU’s Veterans’ Resource Center for information regarding certification and restrictions.

CMU Department of Military Science and ROTC

See the Department of Military Science.