Print this page


Summary of Graduation Requirements

Each candidate for a baccalaureate degree shall:

  1. Matriculate as a regular undergraduate student.
  2. Fulfill the requirements prescribed on a degree.
  3. Complete a declared major, or a major and a minor, or minors as indicated on the chosen degree.
  4. File application for graduation online early in the enrollment period or semester in which the student will complete 86 semester hours of credit, but not later than the beginning of the semester or session prior to the semester or session in which he or she plans to graduate.
  5. Present 30 semester hours of credit earned at Central Michigan University. See Residence Credit below.
  6. Fulfill the General Education Requirements including University Program and Competency Requirements. Students may not take more than two courses or seven hours for CR/NC in the University Program. Students must earn a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.00 in University Program courses in order to graduate.
  7. Present a cumulative point average of 2.00 (C) or higher and a point average of 2.00 (C) or higher in major(s) and minor(s).
  8. Present a minimum of 40 semester hours of credit equivalent to the CMU level of 300 or above. For students with prior learning credits, 20 semester hours may be prior learning assessment credit.
  9. Present a minimum of 120 semester credit hours that may include a maximum of six hours RLA and/or PED activities. Some degrees and majors have minimums above 120. Sixty semester credit hours must be earned at an accredited four-year degree-granting institution or from a foreign university or college approved by the government or the official regulating agency of the country in which the university or college is located. An exception is made for programs guided by articulation agreements with the University or for graduates of a state-approved school of nursing who have passed the National Council Licensing Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN).
  10. None of these sixty hours may include physical education activity courses. The Registrar’s Office makes the decision regarding the acceptability of transfer credits according to the Transfer Credit Policy. Appeals of the decisions of the Registrar’s Office may be filed with the Board of Appeals.

Candidates for a teaching certificate must file an application to a Teacher Education Program. Refer to Teacher Certification section for details.

Approved by the Provost, 6/28/19

Bulletin Used to Determine Graduation Requirements

Graduation requirements for a baccalaureate degree are based on the regulations and requirements printed in the Central Michigan University Bulletin in effect at the time of a student’s initial registration at a regionally accredited two- or four-year college or university or from a foreign university or college approved by the government or the official regulating agency of the country in which the college or university is located. A Bulletin published after initial registration may be chosen by the student when it is to his or her advantage. The time limitation on this provision is that no student may graduate under the requirements of a Bulletin published more than seven calendar years prior to the date of graduation.

The University Bulletin covers a 12-month period, July 1 through June 30. Courses, majors, minors, programs, and degrees in this catalog are subject to change without notice and may not be available in the future.

Residence Credit

Candidates for a bachelor’s degree must earn at least 30 semester hours of credit at Central Michigan University.

Candidates for a short course certificate must earn at least one-fourth of the credits required on the program at this university.

Candidates who already hold a bachelor’s degree and are seeking a standard certificate must earn at least 15 semester hours of credit at this institution.

Prior learning credit, Advanced Placement, CLEP or International Baccalaureate credit, and hours earned by Credit by Examination may not be applied to meet any of the hours required in residence.

Approved by the Academic Senate, 12/4/18

Web-based (Online and Hybrid) Courses

Courses in web-based (online and hybrid) format may be used to complete degree requirements. CMU courses and programs approved for web-based delivery are given in the descriptions of courses, majors, minors and degrees in this Bulletin.